Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Gaff-tacular!!

(click on image to enlarge it)


I've no confidence in this senile flip-flopping gaffer. None.


Regarding Germany: "[I was at a conference with] President Putin of Germany"


Regarding Spain: (Would you meet with the President Zapatero?) "... all I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with leaders in the hemisphere that are friends with us, and standing up to those who are not, and that's judged on the basis of the importance of our relationship with Latin America, and the entire region."


Regarding Venezuela: "... ensuring that America is secure, and not dependent on oil from people like Hugo Chavez or other parts of the Middle East."


Regarding Iran: "... it's common knowledge and has been reported in the media that Al Qaeda is [being trained by Iran]. That's well known."

Referred to the "situation on the Iraq-Pakistan border."


Regarding his involvement with the Keating 5: "I was judged eventually, after three years, of using, quote, poor judgment, and I agree with that assessment."


Took credit for passing substantial deregulation legislation in 1999. Which, along with Bush taking office in 2000, ended the Dot-Com era and started the Dot-Bomb era.


Regarding the wall street meltdown: "I promise you, we will never put America in this position again. We will clean up Wall Street." (Sorry, this was your third strike as far as I'm concerned.)


Regarding (not) getting the bail-out bill passed: "I will do whatever is necessary. I just did it. In case you missed it. Heh, heh. I'm sure you didn't. I will do whatever is necessary to get this going again."


And my favorite recent gaff: "I wish interest rates were zero!" (boy, would that be great for economic growth. Not.)


To be honest, however, I wouldn't put it past the democrats to sour the bail-out deal so that McCain couldn't take credit for getting it passed, and can't fault them for not wanting to commit political suicide by passing it without bi-partisan support. I strongly suspect that the Republican's didn't intend to pass the deal regardless of Pelosi's speech.

There's an underlying gambit in play here, and I haven't sussed it out yet.

.

No comments: